Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Network Based Marketing Concepts And The Power Within Social Networks - Part Two

Copyright 2008 © Ricardo Vasques
http://www.RicoSuccess.com



Here we are again.

As I suggested on the last post, social networks are very powerful and they in fact represent a powerful consumer association. Show me anyone that denies being a consumer and I will show you a liar.

So, social networks are made of people that know other people, that know other people, etc. etc., and it has always been this way in the human lifetime history. Its simple, but it’s very powerful.

Stanley Milgram’s Small World and Duncan Watts’ Six Degrees theories propose that almost everyone is connected and, according to Mr. Watts approach (see the book Six Degrees: The Science of a Connected Age), we are interconnected to each other in a maximum degree of six relationships in depth.

Explaining this in plain words, imagine this situation: You, my dear visitor, that is reading this humble article in my blog right now know somebody, that knows somebody, that knows somebody, that knows somebody, that knows somebody that has a very high probability of knowing me (remember that I live in Brazil).

Now, it doesn’t mean that we are friends yet, but related inside a global relationship network.

Can you get the amount of power and possibilities that lies within the networks?

And here we are, in a small world, and the internet has helped to turn it smaller. Just to illustrate this, I have associates in India, Pakistan, United States and Australia that I’ve never met but are part of my affiliate or network marketing business due to the possibilities the internet and the big small world has provided me.

Social networks are main issues in our society. Orkut, Facebook, My Space and several other sites have attracted billions of people forming huge nets that ignore almost any physical or social distances.

To understand the possibilities and the potential of the social networks, let’s talk about a conception that is not new and have been proposed by Peter Blau in 1977, the “Homophily” principle.

According to this social theory people that communicate with each other are more likely to have similarities in behavior, so groups that relate directly to others might have similar tastes and also consumer patterns.

On the next post I will tell you why is this so important.

Ricardo Vasques
www.RicoSuccess.com

Until Then
….. Do you have a correction to this post? Do you have a contribution? Do you agree or disagree? We are waiting to hear it from you.

No comments: